Makes LEARNING FUN & enables DEEPER UNDERSTANDING OF CONCEPTS.
Enables 21st century skills of INNOVATION & PROBLEM SOLVING through Project Based Learning (PBL) approach.
Triggers CURIOSITY & ignites the spark of Science and CREATIVITY in your child.
Improves ATTENTION SPAN & PERSEVERANCE among children in this fast paced world of instant gratification
Increases MOTIVATION TO LEARN.
DIY Materials: Child friendly materials to build working models and conduct activities
Activity Book that includes:
- Colourful illustrations to guide a child through model making process.
- Observation questions that help develop important critical skills like” attention to right detail” thereby developing scientific temper.
- Exercise questions to test your child’s understanding of the concepts.
- Concept map -Entire topic summarised in one page with pictorial representations.
Month-1: Light & its Mysteries
- Make your own Kaleidoscope and understand:
• Symmetry through reflections in mirrors
• How patterns are created by multiple reflections.
- Do an exercise using a plane mirror to find lines of symmetry of different shapes
- Build a model with a light source, object and screen to understand:
• How shadows are formed?
• Know the effect of changing object distance on size of the shadow formed
- Build a model to see how change in angle of light changes the length of the shadow formed
- Identify the shape of the object by seeing its shadow
Month-2: Solar System
Natural phenomena - phases of moon:
- Make different models to understand:
• Formation of days & night
• Formation of different phases of moon
• Formation of eclipses
Earth is oval!
- Make a model of earth, sun and moon to understand difference between rotation and revolution.
- Make a model of earth and observe the effect of rotation on it that gives earth an ‘egg’ like shape.
Month-3: How Stuff Works
Air around us - Vacuum Cleaner:
- Build the model of a miniature vacuum cleaner to understand:
- Air can push as well as pull things – using fan
- Real life application of properties of air
- Air is present everywhere and lack of it leads to sucking of things.
- Introduction low pressure and high pressure (HOTS)
- Make a mini shooter and a balloon balance to understand that air can exert force and air has weight.
Introduction to force:
- Make a parachute to understand:
• Air drag and gravity as forces.
• Relationship between weight of the person and size of the parachute.
- Solve a maze puzzle using magnets
- Create static charges by rubbing different materials to experience electrostatic force
- Do a series of experiments to see effects of a force applied on a object
Month-4: Simple Machines
Simple machines - Levers:
- Make class 1 and class 2 levers and understand how they help ease our efforts.
- Compare the working of a forcep (class 3 lever) with that of the other 2 to understand the difference in position of load, effort and fulcrum.
Inclined plane, wedge:
- Make an inclined plane to lift objects. Observe the reduction in effort when the angles are changed however there is a trade off – can you spot it?
- Make a wedge and how it reduces effort. Understand that relation between wedge and inclined plane.
Month-5: All About Seeds
- Make models to understand different seed dispersal mechanism – Air – Maple seeds, Animals – Squirrel and hazel nut, drop and roll – passion fruit, Shakers – poppy seeds and hitch hiking.
Plants - Pollination:
- Make models and play a game to understand how bees and butterflies help in cross pollination.
- Understand self pollination.
Month-6: Air & Water
Hydraulic canon (Air & its properties):
- Carry out a series of experiments to understand different properties of air:
• air occupies space & has weight – Balloon balance
• air can push things – Hydraulic canon
• air (oxygen) is needed for combustion – Water candle experiment
Rain water harvesting:
- Make houses with different roof tops ( slant and flat) to understand:
• Chanelling mechanisms for flat and slant roofed houses
• Collection pit
- Make a water pump to understand the the complete mechanism:
• Collecting rain water (roofs) – Storing ( in a sump) – and then retrieving (using a pump).
Month-7: Animals & Birds
Birds - Types of beaks:
- Make beaks of eagle, woodpecker, parrot, sparrow and pelican and learn the unique feature of their
beaks that helps them with their eating habits.
Animals help us:
- Play a game to understand how honey bees collect nector and the dangers they face during the process.
- Make a model to understand how beekeepers extract honey – Apiculture
Month-8: Modes of Transport
Rubber band car:
- Build a pull-back car that moves on land
- Convert the car into a pedal boat which moves in water
Modes of transport:
- Build a rope way model with pulleys to learn about mode of transportation in hilly areas.
- Build an elevator model to understand how it helps to reach upper floors of a tall building quickly.
- Play the modes of transport game to know different modes and try reaching your destination in the least time possible by using different combinations.